New Jersey Grafting Seminar 2017
On Saturday February 4 American Conifer Society members from the Northeastern Region gathered at John Vermuelen & Son Nursery in Branchburg, New Jersey. ACS members traveled from Vermont, New York, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey to participate in a grafting class taught by Nancy Vermuelen. Nancy graciously donates her time each February to share her techniques and experiences in grafting conifers, maples and even a few ginkgo. This annual event is also a time to renew friendships and share current information on conifer propagation.
2017 topics included:
- How to sharpen a grafting knife
- protecting your "receiving thumb'
- importance of the root mass of the root stock
- mycorrhiza fungus and it's role in conifer root development
- To scrape, cut or pull scion needles near the graft?
Do not forget the 2017 ACS National Meeting & Conifer College hosted by the NE Region in Syracuse, New York.
Here are a couple of videos of Nancy in action:
Addition pictures of the 2017 Grafting Class in the NE Region: