Rendezvous and Board Meeting
Atlanta Botanical Gardens - Atlanta, GA
Join us for a weekend of events in February at the Atlanta Botanical Garden when the ACS board of directors visits Atlanta for the winter board meeting. The ACS board meets twice a year: the day before the national meeting (which in 2019 will be June 6 in Silverton, Oregon) and in February. All members are invited to attend. This February we will be holding our meeting at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, an ACS Reference Garden and world-renowned and respected institution. This is a great opportunity to mingle with coneheads, meet the board of directors, make suggestions, ask questions and have a great time.
The schedule, which may be tweaked slightly, is as follows. You may attend all or part of the weekend’s events:
Saturday, February 9:
8 am – 3 pm: ACS Board Meeting at the ABG (Garden House Board Room)
3 pm – 6 pm: Open house at the home of Martha Church and Lenny Oddo. Wine beer and sumptuous hors d’oeuvres will be served.
Sunday, Feb. 10th:
· 9:30 am: Rendezvous begins at ABG (1345 Piedmont Ave NE) with a presentation by Scott McMahan, who recently toured Vietnam on a seed collecting trip funded by an ACS grant. Scott is the manager of ABG’s International Plant Exploration Program. The presentation will take place in the ABG Magnolia Room.
10:30 am: Andrew Bunting, ABG’s new VP of Horticulture, will share his insights on his favorite conifers
· 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m: Jim Smith, Irina Rieppi, and David Ruland of the ABG provide a guided tour of the conifer reference garden and a visit to the conservatory and greenhouses to see the tropical conifers. The tropical conifer greenhouse is, in Jim Smith’s words, “the coolest place in the entire botanical garden that people just never get to see,” so it’s a real treat to visit it during this behind-the-scenes tour. tours should take about an hour, leaving plenty of time for questions before lunch.
· 12:30 pm: No host lunch at ABG’s Longleaf Restaurant with several National Board members.
· 1:30 pm: Scheduled event ends, free time to tour on your own, visit the gift shop, etc.
Lodging: Attendees who will be staying overnight in the Atlanta area may wish to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Midtown, 1365 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta, GA 30309 Ph. 404-745-1000. It is within walking distance of ABG and several museums. Please book your own reservations. The board of directors is staying at this hotel.
Note: Participants are responsible for the cost of their lodging, parking, dinner (if applicable) on Saturday, and lunch on Sunday. All other events are free of charge, and the $21 admission fee for Atlanta Botanical Garden has been graciously waived by ABG for attendees. You must RSVP to be included on the list of participants!
For questions or to RSVP for all or part of this weekend, please email Sandy Horn no later than January 15th.
When you RSVP, please indicate which activities you will attend:
- Board Meeting
- Open House at Martha and Lenny’s
- Talks at ABG by Scott McMahan and Andrew Bunting
- ABG Guided Tour
- Lunch at the Longleaf Restaurant
We hope to see you there!
Note: this event is for members only. If you are not an ACS member, join here!