Join ACS
Member Login

Home \ Discussion \ General Discussions \ Jerry Morris Life Monument

Jerry Morris Life Monument (2 Replies)

Posted September 2, 2013 at 1:41 pm

My first step in discovering the work of American conifer collecting was to investigate the work that has been done by ACS member, Jerry Morris, of Lakewood, CO.  After him we can speak about other propagators but, to my mind, Jerry is one of the most important propagators of new conifer cultivars whose work deserves wider recognition. This has led to my compiling what I call a “Life Monument” to the work of such dedicated individuals.

Herewith: The Jerry Morris Life Monument.

Zsolt Mesterhazy, of Budapest, Hungary, is the editor of a compendium of conifer cultivars that includes not just a listing of introductions by eminent collectors and growers like Jerry Morris’ but also comprehensive lists (as MS Word documents) of conifers at his Conifer Treasury of the World. — Web Editor.

Cancel Edit
Save
Posted September 3, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Wow Zsolt! That’s a life monument, all right! Nice to see you on here – I attended your talk at Quarryhill about a year and a half ago. Hope to see you at an ACS meeting one day.

Cancel Edit
Save
Posted September 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Sara,
Some years ago I decided to study conifer breeders. All conifer collectors owe a debt of gratitude to the breeders who recognize the new and unusual cultivars and bring them to market.  We can learn a lot from them.
The US is full of these undiscovered geniuses, most of them are known only to their neighbors. With some colleagues I’m are working on further “Life Monuments” to Chub Harper, Sidney Waxman,Greg Williams, Joe Stupka and others. These individuals provide the foundation for conifer collecting in the US — and beyond.

Cancel Edit
Save

You must be to reply to this topic.

Iseli_20120921_3950